Monday, September 19, 2011

PHCN RUNNING ON GENERATORS:A SHAME INDEED!

I have spent the better part of this afternoon, looking for a Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN, office to buy units for my electricity meter! 


It started like a joke, and towards the end, it became a matter of serious desperation! I was aware that I had less than ten units left, and that was hardly enough to see me through the night! At my fourth attempt, I found a cash office on Adetokunbo Ademola Avenue in Abuja! They had "network"


In the previous places I had gone to, I was told there was "no network"! So, like the children of Israel, I kept searching promised land of "'network"! 


At the cash center on Adetokunbo Ademola, I saw a queue that reminded me of the last general elections in Nigeria!


Then I saw them, I saw four generators outside the office! The building has a single tenant, the PHCN! You can imagine my shock! I was still pointing this out to the rest of my co-travellers on the queue, when I walked into the foyer: another shocker awaited me there! 


They had two inverters there as well! 


I just stood there, speechless! 




For me, it was the equivalent of discovering that your medical doctor patronizes a traditional healer! 


If PHCN,needs four generators, and two inverters, to operate, then we are all in deep trouble!


They have passed a vote of no confidence in themselves, and we have to be mindful of this! 


This is after a recent hike in electricity tariffs in June! It is as if, the more we pay, the less we enjoy!


If we want investors to come in, and invest in our economy, we need to fix the power situation first!This is because like the biblical injunction about seeking the kingdom of God, power is first: when you seek it, and it's fullness, all other things will be added to our economy!




MAY GOD BLESS NIGERIA, OUR NIGERIA, FOREVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment